Saturday, December 4, 2010

Harry's World

By Keith N Fisher

I read Harry Potter out of self-defense. When I started, everyone was waiting for book six to be released. Speculation about the plot was the subject of every conversation. I didn’t understand what they were talking about, because I hadn’t read the story, or seen the movies.

I read the Sorcerer’s Stone expecting to get the facts. I didn’t expect to be entertained. That genre has never been my favorite, but I kept reading because the characters were well drafted, and I wanted to know what happened next.

The Philosopher’s Stone was published in 1997 and came to the United States as the Sorcerer’s Stone in 1998. Who knew the profound affect it would have on literature and a whole generation of movie buffs.

Harry Potter has been part of our culture during the whole lifetimes of this year’s seventh graders. The author wrote great characters, expanded by some wonderful actors. I love the way Bellatrix taunts Harry with the chant “I killed Serious Black.” The actress personifies the homicidal evil that exists in the character.

Who didn’t cry when they saw Dumbledore fall from the tower, even though we all knew it was going to happen? The characters of HP will live in our memories, like the great tears shed by Hagrid as he carried Dumbledore’s body to the tomb.

I went with my family to see the seventh flick the other day. After the previous movie, The Half Blood Prince, I was convinced the producers would screw up The Deathly Hallows, too, but it wasn’t too bad. Since my wife hasn’t read the books, I found myself answering dozens of questions about the plot.

The experience made me wonder when I went from curious reader, to connoisseur of Harry’s world. My little perusal into the magical realm has turned into much more than trying to keep up with conversation.

With the size of the final book, the movie producers determined to spread it out over two movies. I wish they had done the same with some of the other books. I felt cheated when certain scenes were left out of the movies, but I read the books. My memory of the story is much richer because I read the books.

Next year, we’ll get a chance to see the final movie and the world will have to move on. Somehow, though, I don’t think it will. Harry’s world will be part of my culture forever and I tip my hat off to the author. Personally, I can’t wait to find out how the producers deal with the last chapter. I want to see Harry’s world, nineteen years later.

Good luck with your writing—see you next week.

No comments: