Saturday, April 3, 2010

Secret Sisters

A book review, by Keith Fisher

I’ve been waiting a long time for this book to come out. When Tristi Pinkston brought Secret Sisters to our critique group two years ago, I told her this was her true calling.

Tristi is a historical fiction writer, and she’s very proud of that. She wrote Nothing to Regret, Strength to Endure, and Season of Sacrifice. She knows her way around historical research, but when I heard Tristi read Secret Sisters, I knew she is the master of many genres.

Subsequently, The publisher who originally purchased this book also published the successful, Agent in Old Lace, introducing the world to Tristi’s talent for mystery. I won’t say Secret Sisters is Tristi’s best work, but it is the best mystery.

Secret Sisters will take you into hilarious places and situations, introducing you to Ida Mae Babbitt, a quirky LDS relief society president, and her councilors, Arlette and Tansy. Together with Ida Mae’s nephew, and Arlette’s granddaughter, they discover a mystery. All the while trying to keep the bishop’s blood pressure from rising.


Here’s a quote from the book you might like.

“Aunt Ida Mae, help me test this,” Ren said, walking into the kitchen with a small object in his hand. He held it up, and Ida Mae gasped. It was a beautiful broach in the shape of a cat, with sparkling crystals embedded in it.

“Do you think Eden will like it?” he asked.

Ida Mae’s heart melted, Her dear boy was preparing to give a gift to his lady friend---it was so sweet.

“I think she’ll love it, dear,” she said, patting his cheek.

“Good, because she’s going to wear it every day.”

Ida Mae blinked. “What?” Surely he didn’t think he could dictate how often Eden wore it. It was a gift, after all.

“It’s a communicator. I call it a commlink. You push these buttons and it activates an alarm on the watch I’m wearing. I’m very proud of myself.”

Another quote is found just inside the cover, and it reflects the humor nested in the story:

The persons depicted in this book are professional fictional characters.
Do not try this at home.


When you read Secret Sisters, you’ll find yourself wishing it won’t end, but don’t worry, Secret Sisters is only the first in a long series of Ida Mae Babbitt mysteries. Follow the zany antics of the group as they stumble into one mystery after another. You’ll fall in love with Ida Mae and her cohorts. I recommend you read this book, and pass me some more of Ida Mae’s cookies.

4 comments:

Kimberly Job said...

LOVED these ladies, and Tristi too! She's an AWESOME writer.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! It was silly, fun, and intriguing all-in-one! I loved Tristi's many witty turns of phrase. =]

Tristi Pinkston said...

Thanks for the review - and for being such a great support to me!

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

I am reading this book right now and loving it. I didn't realize that you were in the same group as Tristi and Kimberly. You probably all have a great time together. Thanks for your review!

Sheila Staley : Reviewer

Come visit me at my blog at http://whynotbecauseisaidso.blogspot.com/